May 30th: Exploring Napa Valley with Lindsay

Saturday, May 30th from 3pm – 4pm CST

Two flanking mountain chains, swirling hills, endless bunches of mustard-colored blooms, and over 500 wineries in under 30 miles. The Napa Valley is home to some of the most famed wines in California. Join Certified Sommelier, Lindsay, as she breaks down this stunning region, home to styles that have defined American food and wine culture for decades.

Donations from this class support Austin Shift Meal, a crucial non-profit providing meals to service industry workers in need.

Bottle Recommendations

What’s more iconic to the Napa Valley than Chardonnay and Cab Sauv? Lindsay will walk you through two of her favorite producers, both available at the Austin Wine Merchant and elsewhere. Call for safe curbside pickup (512) 499 – 0512

White

Trefethen Chardonnay

Red

Sequoia Grove Cabernet Sauvignon

French Wine 101 with Ashley

Friday, May 22nd from 6pm – 6:45pm CST

Have you been waiting to finally understand the iconic wines of France? With over seven distinguished and flourishing wine regions, France can be intimidating for even the most seasoned consumer. Join Certified Sommelier, Ashley, for a trip through this historic country. We’ll get deep chatting all things terroir—the philosophy behind what creates character and typicity in a wine. We’ll also learn some important French terms that will help you learn to read a French wine label like a pro. Santé!

Reserve

The Stay-at-Home Somm is a donation-based project that supports displaced wine professionals that have been deeply impacted by Covid-19. To reserve your space, we ask for a $25 donation. Unless otherwise noted, 90% of all donations will directly support your teacher, while the remaining 10% is distributed to another unemployed service industry worker in need.

Once you have submitted your reservation, you should receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you do not receive this email, please reach out to thestayathomesommclass@gmail.com

Bottle Recommendations

To best enjoy this class, Ashley recommends either one of the following bottles that can be purchased from an Austin retailer:

white

Wine Producer: Jérémie Huchet

Bottle: Clos Les Montys

Grape & Geographical Area: Muscadet Sèvre-et-Maine

Purchase at Travis Heights Beverage World

red

Wine Producer: Brendan Tracey

Bottle: Pour une Poignée de Bouteilles

Geographical Area: Vin de France

Purchase At APPT 115 

If you are purchasing wines outside of Austin, look for:

  • A crisp white wine from Muscadet, in the Loire Valley of France. This wine is made from a grape called ‘Melon de Bourgogne’, but will not be listed on the bottle.
  • A rosé wine from Provence. These wines are some of the oldest in recorded history!
  • A red wine from Beaujolais, made from the Gamay grape. This grape will probably also not be listed on the bottle. For some extra serious Beaujolais, rustic in character, look for a Cru Beaujolais at a specialty wine store.

We can’t wait to host you!

All About Orange Wines with Paige

This week Paige is back to teach us all about orange wines! Learn how it’s made, where it grows and what flavors you can expect from this ancient wine style. Plus, she’ll share with us her favorite producers and how you should pair orange wine with meals enjoyed at home.

Thursday, May 21st

from 6pm – 6:45 CST

Reserve

The Stay-at-Home Somm is a donation-based project that supports displaced wine professionals that have been deeply impacted by Covid-19. To reserve your space, we ask for a $25 donation. Unless otherwise noted, 90% of all donations will directly support your teacher, while the remaining 10% is distributed to another unemployed service industry worker in need.

Once you have submitted your reservation, you should receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you do not receive this email, please reach out to thestayathomesommclass@gmail.com

Bottle Recommendations

There is quite a range available for orange (or skin-contact) wines, so you’re encouraged to explore your local wine shops and restaurants that are offering to-go wine! Ask for help if you need it, wine shops are always happy to recommend their  favorites. Here are some of Paige’s recommended wines that are available locally (in Austin!):

2014 La Stoppa ‘Ageno’
Available for pickup via bufalinawine.com

2017 Angiolino Maule ‘Sassaia’ 
Available for pickup via Lolo.wine

We can’t wait to host you!

Friday’s Class: A Trip Through Oregon Wines

What types of wines are being produced in Oregon? Which wineries are Somms excited about these days? Just months before quarantine began, one of our Certified Somm’s (Dhruv) was able to take a dream trip across some of Oregon’s best wineries! Join Dhruv this Friday at 5pm CST as he re-explores and explains some of his favorites: Antica Terra, Ovum, Teutonic, Argyle, Soter, and more!

Friday, May 15th at 5pm CST

Reserve

The Stay-at-Home Somm is a donation-based project that supports displaced wine professionals that have been deeply impacted by Covid-19. To reserve your space, we ask for a $25 donation. Unless otherwise noted, 90% of all donations will directly support your teacher, while the remaining 10% is distributed to another unemployed service industry worker in need.

Once you have submitted your reservation, you should receive a confirmation email within 24 hours. If you do not receive this email, please reach out to thestayathomesommclass@gmail.com

Saturday’s Class: Wine 101 with Lindsay & J.R.

Lindsay and J.R. know that there’s nothing more exciting than beginning your journey into wine– they entered this industry together. But as Somms, they also know how intimidating it can be to start that journey. Get the 101 breakdown of all the basics: how to taste, how wine is made, and where it is grown. Learn the skills you need to talk about the wines you love!

To reserve a seat in J.R. & Lindsay’s class May 9th at 3 p.m. CST, please fill out the form below. We keep our classes at an intimate size so that everyone has a chance to participate in the on-going conversation that is wine.

This Class is Now Sold Out! Please consider signing up for one of next week’s classes.

Bottle Recommendations

This class is all about you and what you love. Pick out whatever bottle brings you comfort and we’ll talk about it! If you want to know what your teachers recommend, pick up:

White

  • Any Chardonnay: some classic places that make Chardonnay are California, Burgundy (France), and Chablis (France)

Red

  • Any Pinot Noir: some classic places that make Pinot Noir are Oregon, California, and Burgundy (France)

Friday’s Class: Native Italian Grapes (the Reboot)

How do you read an Italian wine label? What are some of their lesser-known grape varieties? How do we best pair our summer recipes with Italian wines?

There are over 300 grape varieties native to Italy. Back by popular demand, join Annie this Friday at 5 pm CST as we explore the origins and qualities of two grapes with strong Italian roots: Lambrusco & Grignolino. She’ll lead a guided tasting of two classic examples, discuss pairings, and how they reflect the land from which they originate.

To reserve a seat in Annie’s class May 8th at 5 p.m. CST, please fill out the form below. We keep our classes at an intimate size so that everyone has a chance to participate in the on-going conversation that is wine.

Annie’s Class is now Sold Out! Check out her bottle recommendations below, or join our class this Saturday: Wine 101 with Lindsay & J.R.

Annie’s Bottle Recommendations

Sparkling Red: 2016 Cantina della Volta, Lambrusco di Sorbara Brut Rosso

Located In Texas: Central Martket – Statewide
Austin: House Wine, Whipin, Bufalina, L’oco Doro, Chris’s Liquor #2, The Wayback Hotel
Houston: Vinology, Houston Wine Merchant
San Antonio: Little Death

Still Red: 2018 Marchesi Incisa della Rocchetta, Grignolino d’Asti

Located In Texas: Whole Foods & Central Market – Statewide
Austin: Royal Blue Grocery, Thom’s Market, Sunrise Market, MOUR, Quickie Pickie

Thank you to our friends at Serendipity Wines for making this class possible! Your community support is invaluable.

See You Soon!

Thursday’s Class: Reimagining Rosé with Paige

Rosé — all day, or no way? How is rosé made? Is it all sweet? Can you age your rosé? It’s time to find out.

People have mixed feelings about rosé and we’re here to talk about why. We’ll go through a brief history of the pink drink, delve into the “dark ages”, learn about its rise to popularity, and see where rosé stands now (hint: it’s pretty dang popular). Join Paige, a long-time wine professional on track to take her Certified Sommelier exam this year. Come ring in the rosé season with us, as we rediscover this underrated category of wine.

The Stay-at-Home Somm is a donation-based project that supports displaced wine professionals that have been deeply impacted by Covid-19. To reserve your space, we ask for a $25 donation. For this class, 75% of all donations will directly support your teacher, while the remaining 25% is distributed to another unemployed service industry worker in need.

THIS CLASS IS SOLD OUT! YOU CAN STILL REGISTER FOR FRIDAY’S CLASS ON ITALIAN GRAPES OR SATURDAY’S WINE 101

Paige’s Bottle Recommendations:

If you are in Austin, Texas and would like to support local, both Paige & J.R. recommend calling up LoLo in East Austin to find a bottle of rosé (512-906-0053). Or, if you wanted to purchase any of Paige’s other wine recommendations for her class, you can find the following bottles around the city (we recommend only one):

  • Still: E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône Rosé 2018— available at Fresh Plus Grocery on West Lynn (<$20)
  • Still: William Chris Vineyards Natural Ferment Malbec Rosé— available special order from William Chris Vineyards, or at Foreign & Domestic, Lenoir, and Aviary (approx. $20-30)
  • Still: Yves Cuilleron ‘Sybel’ Syrah Rosé 2018 — available for curbside pickup from June’s for $25
  • Still: Sutter Home White Zinfandel — available at most grocery stores (approx. $5)
  • Sparkling: Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Rosé NV— available at Spec’s, Total Wine, Central Market North Lamar, and select HEB stores (approx $50)
  • Sparkling: Raventos i Blanc Brut Rosé ‘de Nit’ — available at Jeffrey’s and Central Market and others (approx. $27 retail, $45 at Jeffrey’s)
  • Sparkling: Eyrie Vineyards ‘Spark’ Dundee Hills Sparkling Rosé — available for curbside pickup at June’s for $45

OR, pick up your favorite bottle of Rosé and enjoy the class!  We can’t wait to host you.

Thank you to our friends at RNDC for their community support in making this class a possibility!

We Will See You Soon!